Wilkinson's english Language School (WELS)offers a range of English courses from Beginners to Advanced levels. The courses are designed to assist learners to develop their communicative competencies by practicing the skills needed to interact effectively in the English language. The comprehensive programme ensures that student’s receptive skills in reading and listening, and productive skills in speaking and writing, are appropriately developed.
General English (Duration: 4 - 48 weeks)
Our range of English language courses include:
You will be tested on arrival and put into the appropriate class for your level (Please note that availability of classes at each level depends on student demand).
IELTS examinations are widely recognized as a language requirement for further study. The English for IELTS course at Wilkinson is aimed at adult learners who wish to improve their competency in English to be eligible for further tertiary study. On enrolment, students will be tested and placed in a class suitable to their academic abilities. These classes are taught by experienced teachers who are familiar with all aspects of IELTS and academic study.
English for NZ Residents(Christchurch Campus only)
Intensive Literacy and Numeracy Programme
- 200 hours tuition
- Improve your English at work or to help you get a job
- Communicate better with your doctor, children’s school or while shopping or banking
- Be safe and cope with emergencies
- Ten and a half hours per week; mornings or evenings depending on your level
Workplace Literacy Programme(Christchurch Campus only)
Workplace literacy refers to the literacy, English language and numeracy skills needed by employees in order to effectively carry out their roles in the workplace. Literacy encompasses not only reading and writing, but also listening, speaking, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
When your employees do any of the following, they are using literacy, language or numeracy skills:
Participate in a team meeting
- Complete calculations
- Assess the reasonableness of numeric data
- Fill out forms
- Follow or give clear instructions
- Address problems
- Follow SOPs or health and safety procedures
If you are working (full or part-time) you are also eligible for free Workplace Literacy classes. A Workplace Literacy Programme offers:
- 40 hours tuition
- An individual learning plan for each learner which targets skills needed to be productive in the workplace
- Experienced tutors can also teach health & safety and cross cultural communication
- We can deliver Unit Standards
- Flexible times – tutors can come to your workplace, or you can choose to study at our school at a time that suits you